About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Week 6

 Weekly Greetings!

The fall field trip to Deadman Lake turned out to be a lot of fun, and Stephen Rudoph was a great guide. He did a wonderful job pointing out and explaining characteristics of the boreal forest.
After a quick picnic lunch at the lake, we drove to the Northway School for a Cross Country running meet. The students were excited and ready to run!
Out of our ten students, four finished in the top of their group. They all did better than the first meet at the Tok School. The time away from the classroom was well worth the trip!
This week we will be doing some cultural activities with the help of Alan Dick. Most of the week's focus will be in making drums and village Science activities. I will have pictures to share next week and will explain more then.

I will continue to send home a Spelling list and homework for the week, but there will not be a Spelling test until next week. We will continue to use the same words next week in our regular reading program. Some students are opting for a "Homework Pass" as a reward for good behavior, but I hope they are still spending some time reading each night. I have only had a few "Reading Logs" that have been returned, and I suggest that you encourage your child to read at least 15 minutes each night.

I hope you have an awesome week!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment