About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Week 28

 Weekly Greetings!

To start off, I would like you to know that I will be out on Monday due to dental appointments but I know the class will do great while I am gone. In addition there will be a Science Fair this Wednesday and our class will have three boards to display. I will share a bit more about that further into this letter and send a memo home when I have more information about times, etc. Also, please make sure your child is well rested and on time this Thursday as they have a national test that will be administered. It is my understanding that a letter was sent out about this from the district earlier in the year. The test is for the 4th and 8th grades only.

Now for a few highlights from the past week. We started the week celebrating Presidents' Day by making George Washington Thumb Print Cherry cookies. Everyone enjoyed working together and the final product was delicious.
All week, the students have been working in groups on a Science Fair project to display this coming Wednesday. They researched a topic, did an experiment they choose, and typed out the results. They are on the final leg of placing all the information on a board to enter in the fair. If you would like to know more, ask your child what they learned or come by the school to see their project.
On Friday, Tim Lorenzini from the Tetlin Refuge will be in to introduce trapping methods to the class. We had to post-pone it until this week because of the Homecoming assembly a couple of weeks ago. Possibly, we can go out and look for some animal tracks before the winter ends.

Have a wonderful week!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment