About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Week 33

 Weekly Greetings!

Spring is here, and so are the statewide tests that start for the fourth grade on Monday. The new test is called Performance Evaluation for Alaska's Schools or PEAKS and the students will start with Science on Monday, Language on Tuesday, and Math on Wednesday. Please make sure your child is on time those days, and well rested. It will help them think more clearly and give a more accurate measure of their progress this year.

Last week the class finished the novel unit we did on the book Shiloh. They enjoyed reading in small groups, in a large group, and independently as we discussed key concepts from the novel.
On Friday, we watched the movie made from the novel and compared the book to the movie. We also ate like the Preston family from the book, and had warm cornbread.


A highlight bi-weekly is Art with Shauna Lee. Last week the class started another clay project and you can see by their smiles how much fun they are had. 
Thank you to everyone who contributed or purchased baked goods at the 4th grade sale last Saturday. There were lots of yummy treats, and it was a fun environment to be selling items during the adult basketball games. We made $245.50. This is also the last week of the T-Shirt sale, so please have orders returned to me by Friday.
With the parent letter, I will be sending home book order forms. If you would like to order books for your child, please return the form to me by April 14. This will probably be the last order I will place for this school year.

I hope you have a productive week!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment