About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Week 36

Weekly Greetings!

This week is only four days, and there will not be any school on Friday due to teacher in-servicing. Also, the class will be taking their last series of MAP testing for this year starting on Thursday morning. Please make sure your child is well rested and on time for breakfast that day. They will continue testing the following Monday on May 1.

In other news, I have a number of field trips planned to finish off our school year. On May 2 we will be going to Moon Lake with Tim Lorenzini from the Tetlin Refuge to do some waterfowl identification activities. The permission slip will be going home with this Monday's parent letter. Later this week, I may be sending two other permission slips home. Originally I planned a trip to Chicken on May 4 that will enhance our Alaska Studies unit, but I am trying to change it to a later date. If I can secure a van, it will be moved the May 18 so the students will be able to do some gold panning while there. The second permission slip headed your way will be for our week long educational trip to Fairbanks May 8-12. I will have an itinerary attached and details about chaperons, housing, etc. There are a few things I am still ironing out and hope to have things all in place by mid-week.

As for some highlights from last week, the class had their last Art class with Ms. Shauna. We have been so fortunate to have her volunteer this year and share her artistic talent with the students.
On Friday, Tim Lorenzini was in to do an activity in preparation for our field trip to Moon Lake a week from this Tuesday. After a short lesson, the students picked cards with waterfowl pictures on them and had to correctly identify and categorize the cards onto a large poster. The class did really well and enjoyed their time with Tim.
I hope you have an awesome week!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment