About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Thursday, May 4, 2017

Week 38

 Greetings!

This weekly update is being written a little earlier than usual, so that I can send it home before our departure to Fairbanks on Monday. The next post will certainly be all about our time in Fairbanks for the educational field trip.  I did want to share some highlights from our outing to Moon Lake on Tuesday, and a few other highlights from this week.

Our trip Moon Lake was a lot of fun. We were picked up by Tim Lorenzinz from the Tetlin Refuge and had a picnic lunch once we arrived at the lake. The fifth grade joined us just as we finished eating, and Tim began pointing out numerous features in the natural environment. We hiked up the lake shoreline hoping to flush some birds so we could identify them, but there were not any to be seen. Even though our goal was to identify the returning waterfowl, we saw lots of other interesting things on the hike.
 
 
During PE on Wednesday, the students got an opportunity to more NYO activities with visiting trainers.
Later that same day, we went to the greenhouse and were able to plant some seeds. The class was also able to sample some of the fresh vegetables growing there.
Something that just really made my week was at our enrichment time one afternoon. Some of the students were creating super long division problems to challenge each other on the class whiteboard. They were remembering how hard short division seemed when we got into that months ago, and how it seems so easy now. As they made up the problems, they would study each others work and try to find out where any differences were. Look how intent they are while working out the problems. Some students were using small whiteboards and working the problem out off to the side.
I hope you have gotten all the information on our field trip starting on Monday. Please make sure your child is on time for breakfast that day, as we will leave just after the start of school.

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment