About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Week 40

Weekly Greetings!

The last week of school is here! I can't believe how fast the year has gone by, and I want you all to know what a pleasure it has been to teach this wonderful group of students. I would also like to acknowledge each student in a "Celebration of Learning" luncheon on Thursday before the school-wide academic awards at 2:00pm. The students and I will make a simple lunch of soup and bread with hope that parents can attend at 12:30pm that day. In addition, please remember that there will be a school picnic on Friday and early release that day at 1:00pm for the last day of school.

Last week the class continued to press on in reading by completing The Guffineys' Chimney by local author Willy Lou Warbelow, and are now finishing a required book report. In Social Studies they are also completing a final research report on an Alaskan city or town. Math consisted of regular lessons and a review packet. We did take a break on Thursday to travel to Chicken and had a great time exploring the dredge there. After a very informative tour that tied in nicely with our study of Alaska history, the group got to experience panning gold. I think most everyone walked away with a small vile of some gold flecks. As planned, we had a picnic lunch before heading back to Tok for the end of the school day.

For Art on Friday, Stephen Rudolph brought in cloth bags and T-shirts for the class to decorate for spring. Most students chose to do a bag, but there were a couple of T-shirts chosen also. Each project turned out really nice.
As I begin to close out our classroom this week, I will be sending things home with the students. Most items will come home Thursday when desks and lockers are cleaned out for the year. Once again, I would like you to know what a privilege it has been to teach this group of students. I look forward to watching them continue to mature and grow academically through the years to come. They certainly have the potential for a bright and successful future.

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment