About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Week 12

Weekly Greetings!

Finally, the pool at Fort Greely is open so we are going to celebrate the end of our first quarter together by taking a field trip there on Thursday, November 10. I will have copies of the permission slips at Parent/Teacher Conferences, but if you still need to sign one you can return the slip attached to the weekly parent letter. Your child will need their winter gear for traveling, a swimsuit, and towel. We will leave as soon as the students finish breakfast, and will return sometime around 5:30pm for the Community Planning meeting at the school. Please leave me a phone number on the permission slip, so that I can call you with a more accurate time to pick your child up when we get close to Tok. We will take a bag lunch and also have pizza after swimming. You can send additional snacks if you think your child will need more than that for the day trip. There will not be any homework that night.

Also, on Friday there will be a special Veterans Day Celebration at 1:00pm at the school.  The students have been practicing songs and will be honoring our veterans. In addition, the students will be let out of school that day at 2:00pm, so that the staff can continue working on a strategic plan with the district administration.

Last week started off with Halloween fun! All the students wore their costumes to school, and after we finished carving our Jack-o-Lantern I got a group shot! After the school parade, we also had a class party with lots of goodies and a few parent visitors. I also put on a short movie about a bat that was based on the book Stellaluna.
In Science, the students explored chemical changes using simple household products in our unit on Matter.
The class also finished the novel unit we have been doing on the book Because of Winn-Dixie, and I ordered the movie to watch and compare with the book. Also at the end of the book, there is a party with egg salad sandwiches, pickles, punch, and a bowl of hard candy. When it came to that part in the movie, we stopped and had the same foods while finishing the movie.
Even though it will be a rather short week with conferences and our field trip, we will move into Unit 2 in the Treasures reading program. The class will  have Art again with Shauna Lee this week on Wednesday, and the Photo retake day is also on Wednesday this week.

With the parent letter there will be a book order form if you would like to order any books. I was not sent any forms for October, but there was a Book Fair at the school that I know many of you visited. If you would like to order, please get the forms back to me by the 18th of this month. If you can pay cash, or write the check to me, then I can call the order in and put it on my card to get the books here faster. If not, then I have to mail the order in and it takes a bit longer.

Have a wonderful week!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown





No comments:

Post a Comment