About Me

My photo
My journey with the Alaska Gateway School District began in the fall of 2012. For the first two years, I was teaching the kindergarten through 2nd grade groups in Tetlin. For the next two years, I taught the same ages at another village school in Northway. In the fall of 2016, I transferred to Tok School to teach 4th grade for two years. This year I requested the third grade, as I always enjoy taking on a new grade level of students. Before moving to Tok, my background consisted of four years living in Botswana, Africa, with my husband where I taught mostly English as second language learners in grades kindergarten through fourth. Previously, we were long time Alaska residents. Most of our years in Alaska were spent living in the interior bush community of Galena, where I taught an alternative program for teens, 7th and 8th grades, Title 1 reading, and kindergarten. For a number of years before obtaining my teacher certificate, I was part of the classified support staff in addition to serving on the local school board. It has been great to be back in Alaska, and Tok has been a good fit for us.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Week 15


Weekly Greetings!

I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving break, despite the cold temperatures last Thursday. Even though we had just three days last week, the students accomplished a lot. Stephen Rudolph returned on Monday to do a poetry activity with the group and each one wrote a response to the Robert Frost poem he recited. They took turns sharing what they wrote in front the class.
In Social Studies the focus was on the first Thanksgiving and the important role that the Native Americans played in the survival of the pilgrim settles. The students made a table decoration to help them remember the positive relationship the two groups had.
On Wednesday, the class had worked so hard during the week that we took a short break for some Eraser Tag. It is a fun game and can easily be done in the classroom.
There are some new critters in the room to go with our Science unit on "Organisms" that we will be starting this week.
Also, on Monday we will start work on the Migratory Bird Calendar competition with the help of Tim Lorenzini from the Tetlin Refuge.

I hope you have a awesome week!

Kind Regards,

Julie Brown



No comments:

Post a Comment